Within two years of arriving at Hampden Street, the school had outgrown the building, so in 1854 the community and school moved to a building in Hamilton Square on the corner of Price Street.
As well as teaching in the local schools, the Sisters also trained Pupil Teachers. The Pupil Teacher concept was a way of meeting the need of what was described as 'the army of teachers' needed to provide elementary education for all. Selected children were trained and paid to assist, they could then receive a grant to go on to Training Colleges.
The Senior Study at Holt Hill c1905
By 1856 it became apparent that a much larger and more permanent home needed to be found for the school.